Making jam-like things is really sticky... but at the end of it I have eleven jars of quince jelly. Sticky stuff ended up everywhere despite attempts to contain it. The worst of it was when a rubber band broke while I was sealing a jar - my hand suddenly had no resistance, and I knocked another jar over and lost most of the steaming hot contents across the bench, down the front of the dishwasher and onto the floor. In my defence, I've never done anything like this before! I've helped preserve fruit but that's a different process altogether.
It's ended up tasting really good and tomorrow I'll know for sure how well it's set. It took longer than I thought and boiled down from six to four litres (or thereabouts). Ultimately I should have taken it off the heat about one minute earlier. All of a sudden, after two and a half hours of being a honeyish orange it went dark. It still tastes good, nothing's burnt, but it's not quite the colour it should be. I'll still put it down as a victory though - for a first time I made something jammy and edible without exploding the kitchen. Next time I'll let myself be fussier.
So tomorrow I think it'll be this with bread and cream for dessert. Mmm...
P.S. When seeking suitably sized jars I found several long-forgotten jars of home made chutney in a cupboard. It's positively ancient, perfectly preserved, and powerfully delicious.